Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Paris: Day 3

We went to the Immigration Museum today. It was really interesting to see how many French people have come from other places and the exhibits were inspiring since they included works of art, different stories, among music. I enjoyed the cartoon section the most, especially one which showed a French man of African descent sitting between two chair: one chair represented Africa and the other represented France. I liked it because sometimes I feel the same way, like I am sitting between a Brazil and a U.S chair, my legs grounded, but the rest of me in the air.

However, the part I enjoyed the most was the Soccer section, a temporary exhibit in honor of the World Cup. I saw a couple of French player information from Brazil and read about the French team history. I did not enjoy that the exhibit played the France-Brazil game of 98 (which France won) on a loop, but was entertained nonetheless.

After the Immigration Museum, we ate a delicious, very typically French Cafe where I ordered a juice called Paradise and a salad named Oceane with smoked salmon, palm hearts, and artichokes. We saw Ernest Hemingway's home on the way and an old wall from the 1200s that used to mark the Paris city limit. I picture Hemingway walking along these streets and now understand why he loved France so much.

Then, we headed back to the hotel and took a brief nap to prepare for a tour of Les Passages, the beginnings of the modern mall. Les Passage were very pretty and apparently much more of the city used to be covered until Hausman designed more open spaces. A Professor who taught at Columbia and Georgia Tech even heard our tour and gave some more interesting information of his own.

We stopped at a bar where I had the first beer I've actually really enjoyed: it was called Edelweiss and it tasted sweet! Pleased with this discovery, we headed to a restaurant in a Passage where we could have dinner.
I had escargot for the first time there which I enjoyed immensely. The butter and garlic perfectly complemented the texture of the snails and I found it fun to dig it out with the miniature fork.

On the walk back to the hotel, we saw the birthplace of cinema, a small cafe where the Lumiere brothers held their first screening, an opera house, the giant Parisienne Ferris Wheel, and a glittering Eiffel Tower. Truly, Paris at night is a sight to behold!
Once again, I was too tired to really experience the nightlife when we got back at midnight>_<. After so much walking, I just wanted to go on the computer for a bit and sleep off the soreness as

I contemplate the amazing sights and sounds I experienced during the day. Plus, I was excited about meeting my Montpellier host family today and would hate to cause a bad impression due to lack of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment